We are Stronger Together

Ronan and I have been married for nine years. We have helped one another through our fair share of ups and downs. We are learning and growing together to be the best parents we can be. I try hard to be a positive woman, even when the circumstances of our lives are less than positive. I created this blog in order to share the trials and triumphs we experience raising and advocating for the three beauties who amaze and challenge us everyday. It is our vision to live a quality inclusive life in our home, community and school. Doesn't everyone wish to experience the reality of belonging?

Friday 15 October 2010

Focus on the Solution Not the Problem

Give me Blog space and look out!  It seems I have the Opinion Flu and can’t stop from barfing the information in my head onto this blog.  Right now I’m feeling some guilt, it's Friday evening, Blade is playing video games and Carson is slobbering on the mirror in his bedroom.  It’s not the video games that evoke the guilt, because Blade earned his time on the console of his choice today by earning stars on his chart.  But Carson is literally standing and slobbering on his mirror, I have been to him three times to try and draw his attention to spinning toys, and his switch and bubble lamp…no go, slobbering on the mirror floats this cat's boat right now.  And you know what?  Most of the time, I accept that and enjoy time for me, while he "stims" knowing that I do plenty in order to deserve this time.   I have begun to figure out my place in his world, and I am developing confidence in my role as his mom.  But there are moments still, where the guilt tickles my belly and I just can’t enjoy peace.

Confidence is really where it’s at!  It seems to me that a person with high self-esteem can accomplish anything!  Unfortunately, I hear a lot of teacher’s doubt their ability to teach well in an inclusive setting.  They feel as if they are lacking the education and expertise to meet the needs of all their students if a severely disable child is enrolled in their classroom, they point out their lack of a special education degree.  It's not as complicated as obtaining a degree...it is a matter of learning from schools and communities who are already inclusion leaders.

No comments:

Post a Comment