We are Stronger Together

Ronan and I have been married for nine years. We have helped one another through our fair share of ups and downs. We are learning and growing together to be the best parents we can be. I try hard to be a positive woman, even when the circumstances of our lives are less than positive. I created this blog in order to share the trials and triumphs we experience raising and advocating for the three beauties who amaze and challenge us everyday. It is our vision to live a quality inclusive life in our home, community and school. Doesn't everyone wish to experience the reality of belonging?

Sunday 23 January 2011

Change Is Never Easy....

It seems that just as the kids begin to settle in with their teachers and become accustomed to the expectations of the classroom, it is time to start thinking about next year!  Transition planning can be quite stressful for families and school staff but it is very important work that can be the difference between success and struggle. 
It’s assessment time!!  I am not a fan of assessment time (I'm sure the teacher's love the nine people, observing at the back of their classroom room;); I find it to be a redundant, deficit-focused, devaluing, depressing process…..on so many levels!!!  I do understand that there are benefits and “you can’t manage what you can’t measure”.  But spending a few months each year while groups of individuals take turns evaluating my children to determine their eligibility for funding and supports blows!  Could I please fill out another questionnaire?!  How about another rating form!?  What number is he!?  He’s an ‘8’!!!  Right on….funding approved!   (I’ll just pretend I didn’t read the definition of an ‘8’).  Once, in Blade’s case, some involved professionals (who shall remain nameless for fear of shaming them;) actually expressed disappointment when the assessments determined that he is not in fact autistic, just really smart with ADHD, and exhibits  effects of  living in emotionally stressful environment.  I was trying to celebrate the fact that my son did not have autism, he had a very manageable diagnosis, and with careful strategies he would be just fine…. they were groaning because he didn’t bring a higher funding codeL  Seemed to me, the suggestions that arose did not require money, just a different way of managing him. 
A Psychologist, a Physical Therapist, an Occupational Therapist, a Speech Therapist, a Behavior Consultant, Inclusion Consultants, an Infrastructure Consultant, and District Leaders are amongst the flurry of people in our school last week!  Carpenters were also at work on the lift to the lower level where Carson’s classroom will be next year.  A bathroom will be retrofitted; a ramp will be improved at one entrance and added at another.  The teacher’s will receive recommendations regarding classroom design, and an aid will need to be selected that can transfer a 50lb child approximately 35 times a day to ensure meaningful inclusion.  It is overwhelming to see the attention being paid to the boy's transition, I never imagined the kind of effort and planning our 6 years at our community school would take, there was so much I never considered.  I trusted Edmonton Public to deliver what they advertise and I am pleased to report….they do deliver!  There is support for inclusion! 
Assessments can be damaging when it results in a child being recommended to leave their community school for a segregated program because they need love, acceptance, consistency, patience and planning.  All of that should be available to all students (even the one who is annoying), in every school.  Or in the case of PDD funding, where an IQ test determines funding eligibility…too bad employers don’t value the IQ test as much…this leaves many people (for example, with autism) unemployed and without supports when they reach adulthood.  
I disagree with how various assessments are used, I wish there was another way, I don’t have the answer (yet;). In the meantime, I will sign the consent forms, and check the boxes on evaluation forms in order to help my child's teacher receive all of the support they need to teach, with my child included. The wonderful thing about the assessments is that it gives written strategies for us and the teachers to use; it is something to be held accountable for.  As long as we are all putting into action what is written, we should begin to see success.  IPP meetings, transition meetings, and assessment meetings are only worth the time and effort, if the ideas and strategies that arise are implemented at home and school.  It is hard work…no one doubts that, but isn’t the success of future generations worth that kind of effort?  

No comments:

Post a Comment